The Nicolet State Trail runs 90 miles from Little Chute, Wisconsin, to the Wisconsin State Capitol in Madison, WI. The Northwestern Trail starts at the end of the North Shore Trail, north of Littlechute in Manitowoc County, Wisconsin, and leads through the city of Madison and into the state.
The Packerland Drive Trail runs parallel to the road of the same name and along the west side of the village. Interstate 41 connects the northern villages of Green Bay with the city of Manitowoc and the eastern town of Little Chute north of Lake Superior.
The Peebles Trail is a nearly 4 mile (6 km) trail that connects the town of Appleton and the village of Newberry on the north side of Lake Superior. The Appleon - Newberries Trail follows the old railroad tracks along the eastern edge of the city and into the Oconto River State Park at the southern end of Little Chute. With its crushed limestone and picturesque views of O Conto, which sits on the shores of Lake Michigan, the Ocontos River State Trail offers picturesque views of the river and its tributaries, as well as the lake itself.
The Old Plank Road Trail runs parallel to a road originally built of wooden planks in the 19th century. It passes through the town of Newberry, follows the Mississippi River canoe route and then into the Ocontos River State Park at the southern end of Little Chute.
In 1848, three wooden sailing ships named Three - Masted Sailing Ships, Mary Magdalene, Libra and America - were booked for the crossing to the East Coast of the United States. The result was immediate: The Libra went to Boston on March 13, 1948, the America on March 18, 1848, to Philadelphia, and the Maria and Mag Dalma on March 20, 1948, to New York City and New Jersey, respectively.
Some of the emigrants were poor, while others were not wealthy, and many would risk most or all of their wealth to have the chance of economic improvement. The first settlers would invest their energy in clearing land, building small houses and barns, and raising cattle, but their investment would be substantial: $1,000 to $2,500 per person.
Before early European settlement, this was one of the busiest routes between New London and New York City, and mills were used, a practice that continued. After that, canal locks were built to bypass the rapids, but the mills continued this practice. The Newton - Blackmour State Trail is finished and runs 20 miles from the outskirts of NewLondon to Seymour, approximately parallel to State Highway 54. In 2010, the Shoreland 400 Rail Trail opened, with a total length of 1.5 miles and a top speed of 50 miles per hour.
Before the French emerged, the area was dominated by the Ho-Chuck, and there is evidence that La Petite Chute (now also known as "La Petites Chutes") was founded. French presence in the east, which triggered a chain reaction of tribal migration as the French had yet to settle in the area.
The word "acre" translates as "farmland," and although the wording of De Tijd's advertisement somewhat misled the emigrants, they discovered that the fields were not ploughed, but corn and wheat fields. Many others, led by a group of farmers from the Dutch East India Company (Dutch Empire), left the country to found what is usually called "Hollandtown" in the area and buy land for their farms. Another wave of Catholic and Dutch emigrants followed, with entire families and neighborhoods moving in with established families and friends in the area.
In what is now Little Chute, the little slide, the Menominaeans built the village of Ookicitimo, which is opposite them. The fox Renard (also called Outigamy by the French and called Meshkwahkihaki by them). The three big rapids of the Fox were named after the adjacent communities of Fox River, Fox Lake and Fox Creek.
The church of St. John Nepomuk served as a point of contact for the other churches, which were soon to be established in other congregations. The first of several erected in the area were built by the Menominaeans, such as the Church of St. Paul, the Church of the Holy Spirit and the Church of St. John the Evangelist.
Father Van den Broek also met Morgan Lewis Martin, who was responsible for the local canal project. He met the Grignon family in Green Bay and presumably went to La Petite Chute in 1836 to make contact.
The Ho-Chuck had relatively good relations with the tribes, although there were several battles with Illinois. In the late 17th century, the Sac-Fox entered the Fox River Valley and began a series of battles against the Menominaea and other eastern tribes in the area. Eastern tribes uprooted them, and the power vacuum created by the loss of La Petite Chute to the men of Illinois and Wisconsin in 1836 allowed the Women's Indian Reservation, an area briefly dominated by men from Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York, to prevail.